Therapeutic Specialist and Assistant
Psychologist PSI M10572
Deirdre is a Therapeutic Specialist and Assistant Psychologist with the EPT Clinic. She graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Masters in Special Education.
Deirdre began her career in 2005 working across home and school as a tutor for autistic children. She continued to work in this role whilst simultaneously studying psychology. Deirdre also worked in private practice for many years providing social and emotional regulation support to children and adolescence.
In 2014, Deirdre commenced her role as a specialist teacher at Middletown Centre for Autism and is a case co-ordinator for referrals to the Learning Support and Assessment service. As part of this role, she works within a transdisciplinary team model with children, their families and educational professionals to support the young person’s access to education. She works extensively across home, school and community settings, enabling her to implement a holistic approach. Within this role Deirdre also engages in assessment, therapeutic support as well as providing ongoing advice and guidance to parents and professionals across Ireland. Deirdre has vast experience in providing training and coaching to parents and professionals across the island of Ireland. She is currently an associate lecturer with St. Angela’s College in Sligo.
Deirdre has a keen interest in family systemic work and trauma informed practices in education. She is passionate about enhancing relationships within families, in school settings and individualising supports to meet a person’s unique needs. Deirdre has worked within the trauma specialist team at the EPT clinic since 2021. She has provided support to children and families using Dyadic Developmental Practice, an evidence-based approach aimed at building positive attachments between children and their primary caregivers.
- BSc Psychology (2013) The Open University
- MEd Special Education (2019) University of Birmingham
Specialist Training and Qualifications:
- Dyadic Developmental Psychotherapy (2021) -training provided by Dr. Dan Hughes
- QQI Certified in Therapeutic Play (2021)-Children’s Therapy Centre
- Beyond Behaviours-6 modules training course Dr. Mona Delahook (2021)
- Certified practitioner in TACPAC Level 1 (2019)
- Certified Sleep Scotland -sleep consultant (2018)
- Attention Autism Associate trainer- (2017)
- SCERTS 3 Day training-Certified (2016)
- TEACCH 5 Day training- Certified (2015)
- Registered Behaviour Technician (2015)
- Lámh Module 1 (2012)
- Assist Suicide Awareness training (2015)
- Certificate in Montessori Education (2004)