Consultant Autism Specialist and Assistant
Psychologist PSI M10572
Deirdre is a Consultant Autism Specialist and Assistant Psychologist with the EPT Clinic. She graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Masters in Special Education, specialising in autism.
Deirdre began her career in 2005 working as a tutor for children with autism across the home and school setting. She continued to work in this role whilst simultaneously studying psychology.
She then set up her own private practice providing social learning groups and individual social learning and emotional support sessions to children and teenagers with autism. During this time, she travelled to the United States to develop her training skills in the social thinking methodology and continues to upskill in this framework on an ongoing basis.
In 2014, Deirdre commenced her role as an Autism Intervention Specialist at Middletown Centre for Autism and is a case co-ordinator for referrals to the Learning Support and Assessment service. As part of this role, she works within a transdisciplinary team model with children, their families and educational professionals to support the young person’s access to education. She works extensively across home and school settings, enabling her to implement a holistic approach to intervention and support. Within this role Deirdre also engages in assessment, direct intervention as well as providing ongoing advice and guidance to parents and professionals across Ireland.
Deirdre has vast experience in providing training to parents and professionals across the island of Ireland and has had her work highlighted at Middletown Centre for Autism’s international conference. She is extremely passionate about enhancing relationships within families and individualising supports to meet each family’s unique needs.
- BSc Psychology (2013) The Open University
- Register Behaviour Technician (2015) Queens University
- MEd Special Education (autism) (2019) University of Birmingham
- ‘Transitioning via transportation for a young person with autism’ (2016) Children’s Research Digest Volume 3 issue
Specialist Training and Qualifications:
- QQI Certified in Therapeutic Play (2021)
- Beyond Behaviours-6 modules training course Dr. Mona Delahook (2021)
- Studio III – Andy McDonnell (2015)
- Certified Sleep Scotland -sleep consultant (2018)
- Certified attendance at annual Social Thinking conference and trainings such as Superflex , Social Detective and Brain Board training (2013-2021)
- Attention Autism Associate trainer- (2017)
- SCERTS 3 Day training-Certified (2016)
- TEACCH 5 Day training- Certified (2015)
- Certified PECS Level 1 (2015)
- Certified practitioner in TACPAC Level 1 (2019)
- Lámh Module 1 (2012)
- Certificate in Relationships and Sexuality Education-Dr. Lynn Moxon (2015)
- Certificate in Sensory Processing-Middletown Centre for Autism (2014)
- Certificate in Low Arousal approaches – Andy McDonnell (2017)
- Certificate in Anxiety Management- Middletown Centre for Autism (2014)
- Assist Suicide Awareness training (2015)
- Certificate in Montessori Education (2004)
- FETAC Certified in Early Childhood Education (2005)