Dr. Aoife Rice Cooney
PSI M11250 B.Ed. Psych., M.A.A.P. (M.H.), D.Ed. Psych
Chartered Educational Psychologist
Aoife has experience working with children and adults with a wide variety of presenting difficulties in educational, disability and mental health settings.
Aoife’s primary areas of interest and experience include autism, attachment, trauma and positive mental health. Aoife qualified with first class honours from the Doctorate in Educational Psychology, University College Dublin, and is a registered Chartered Educational Psychologist with the Psychological Society of Ireland.
Aoife initially qualified as a primary school teacher, in 2014, graduating with First Class Honours from the Bachelor of Education in Education and Psychology in Mary Immaculate College, Co. Limerick. She went on to teach in both mainstream and support settings. She also spent time providing home tuition for children with additional needs such as autism and intellectual disabilities.
Aoife then pursued a Masters in Applied Psychology (Mental Health) in University College Cork in 2016 and achieved First Class Honours. Her Masters thesis on the topic of mindfulness has been published as a book chapter and she has presented at various conferences. Aoife gained invaluable skills and knowledge in relation to therapeutic assessment and intervention on placement in the Irish Prison Service Psychology Service. She continued to work within this service as an Assistant Psychologist.
Aoife additionally gained experience in the City of Dublin Education and Training Board, the HSE North Kildare Network Disability Team, the National Educational Psychological Service and with the HSE Primary Care Psychology team in Dublin Northwest.
Aoife has worked with the EPT Clinic since 2021, leading the disability and mental health team. In her role with the EPT Clinic, she works as a consultant with the HSE and Tusla – Child and Family Agency. She has completed specialist training in the areas of trauma, attachment, and sensory integration.
Honors & Awards:
- Best Research Poster, June 2018 from Co-Production for Recovery in Mental Health
- President’s Postgraduate Scholarship (2014), from Mary Immaculate College
- Gold Gaisce Award (2014), from Gaisce: The President’s Award
- Silver Gaisce Award (2010), from Gaisce: The President’s Award
- Bronze Gaisce Award (2008), from Gaisce: The President’s Award
- Best Chapter Award (2008), from Best Buddies Ireland
- “That which is crooked can be made straight”: Challenges and opportunities of Assistive Reproductive Technologies (ART) in Ireland in the 21st
- The effectiveness, feasibility and acceptability of a mindfulness-based intervention in two Irish primary
- Prisons: Trauma Informed Interventions – Them and Us? In the 5th Annual Irish Criminal Justice Agencies (ICJA) Conference Report 2018
- Children’s Mind Wandering: Useless or Useful?
Aoife’s University Qualifications:
- University College Dublin, Doctorate in Educational Psychology: 2018 – 2021
- University College Cork, Masters in Applied Psychology – Mental Health, (First Class Honours): 2016 – 2017
- Mary Immaculate College, Ireland, Bachelor in Education and Psychology (First Class Honours): 2010 – 2014
Specialist Training and Qualifications:
The Neurobiology of Trauma: From the NICABM, 2022
The Neurobiology of Attachment: From the NICABM, 2022
Traumatic Memory and Nervous System: From the NICABM, 2022
Tolerate Dysregulation and Hyperarousal: From the NICABM, 2022
Ayres Sensory Integration: From The Collaborative for Leadership in Ayres Sensory Integration, 2022
Griffiths Assessment Training, ARICD: 2021
Certificate in Living Works Start- Online Course for Suicide Prevention, from the National Office for Suicide Prevention, HSE: 2020
How to do counselling online: A coronavirus primer, The Open University: 2020
Certificate in Psychological First Aid, The Johns Hopkins University: 2020
Certified Facilitator: Friends for Life, My Friends Youth, Strong Not Tough, with Friends Resilience: 2020
Certificate in Working with Families, with the Irish Society of Chartered Physiotherapists and the Irish Society of Chartered Physiotherapists: 2019
An Introduction to E-Tutoring, with CPD College: 2019
Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS-2) training: 2019
Women and Girls on the Autism Spectrum, The National Autistic Society: 2019
Certified Facilitator: Weaving Well-Being from Outside The Box Learning Resources Ltd.: 2019
Introduction to Children First from Tusla – Child and Family Agency: 2018 & 2021