Autism Diagnostic Team and Psychology Cognitive Assessments
EPT Clinic offers comprehensive Team Autism Diagnostic Assessments to families which are in line with international best practice guidelines. This involves using clinical observation skills, developmental information, standardized tests (Cognitive and Adaptive Assessment, Speech and Language Therapy and/or Occupational Therapy Assessment, Social, Emotional and Behavioural Assessment) and formal Autism diagnostic testing (ADI-R and the ADOS-2). In addition, each child is provided with a Sensory Profile.
Full Autism Team and Psychology Cognitive/Developmental Assessment
(€2, 200) includes the following:
PHASE 1 – This takes 2-3 hours face to face time (in person or through telehealth)
Developmental History: Parents meet with 2-3 therapists to discuss topics such as communication development, motor, play or social skills (depending on the age of the child or young person). Concerns and worried are also explored. Parents will also be given the opportunity to talk about their child’s strengths and needs, to ask questions and to tell the therapists anything else which is relevant.
Diagnostic Interview- ADI-R or Childhood Autism Rating Scale (CARS) Questionnaire: These are standardised interviews and assessments which assess whether the child meets the criteria for an Autism Spectrum condition in terms of early and current development. This involves topics such as social communication, social interaction and restricted and repetitive behaviours.
Formal Pragmatic Language Assessment AND/OR Sensory Screening. The team will recommend which one they feel would be most beneficial for your child.
PHASE 2 – This takes 2-3 hours face to face time in the clinic with your child
- Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule 2 (ADOS 2) or Childhood Autism Rating Scale (CARS) Observation Assessment: These tests formally assess the child’s social interaction and social communication skills. They are standardised, play based assessments, often administered by two therapists. This is carried out in accordance with the DSM-5 and the Department of Education and Skills criteria.
- Social, Emotional and Behavioural Assessment and Observations: This involves looking at how the child or young person’s social, emotional and behavioural skills are developing, and will identify whether there are any presenting needs or concerns in this area. This step also involves ruling out a range of other possible disorders (e.g. ADHD or mental health needs). This includes liaising with the school as appropriate.
- Cognitive or Developmental Assessment: This will inform your child’s home, preschool, primary or secondary learning and developmental plan to ensure your child’s learning is scaffolded at just the right level.
- The Report: A Differential Diagnostic Assessment Report is written up, including a review of Previous Multi-Disciplinary Assessments (e.g. Speech and Language Therapy Assessment, Occupational Therapy etc.).
- This report summarises relevant background information, and the child’s performance on the various tests. Their needs in particular areas are identified.
- A diagnosis may be made at this point, if it applies to the child’s presentation. Reports take 2-3 weeks to complete.
- Most importantly, the report will provide the child’s parents and teachers with a strengths and needs profile and a number of recommendations and some resources which will help to support the child in reaching their potential.
If you do not require a Cognitive Assessment, this cost can be deducted from the Team Assessment, reducing it to €1, 900
Academic Assessment €300: To assess for a Specific Learning Difficulty (e.g. Dyslexia, Dyscalculia or Dysgraphia).
Full School Age Speech and Language Therapy Expressive and Receptive Language €400 add on (6 years +)
Early Intervention Speech and Language Therapy Expressive and Receptive Language €350 add on (0-5 years)
Full School Age Occupational Therapy Assessment €400 add on (includes movement, fine motor, sensory and writing assessment) (6 years +)
Early Intervention Occupational Therapy Assessment €350 add on (includes movement, fine motor, sensory and writing assessment) (0-5 years)
Follow up School/Preschool Visits to support/advise staff €300 within 1 hr of EPT Clinic: Additional half day school/preschool visit may be requested by parents, whereby they may wish that the psychologist provides the school with additional training/support.
Follow up School/Preschool Visits to support/advise staff €400 within 2 hrs of EPT Clinic: Additional half day school/preschool visit may be requested by parents, whereby they may wish that the psychologist provides the school with additional training/support.